Saturday, May 30, 2009

Episode 04

Captian's Log- Stardate: 05302009

Finally we are done with week one of training! It feels like a huge hurdle that was all kinda mashed together with witty remarks, lots of pinball, and some dry mashed potatoes. There might have been a little bit of instruction tossed in with that as well. In my job title "Program Manager" we are assigned to take care of all the aspects of the weekly programs for the campers.. This is totally cool because we get all sweet equipment like light trees, gaffers tape, sound board, road rack, computer, two digital cameras, a video camera and more cords than most people could mentally deal with. If you know how the BCC theater works, this is much like that in a few ways. We get to focus lights, and use pretty gels. Also we become fimillar with the step by step guide to call the cues for each program. The primary new thing for me has been a program called Media Shout. Think of like a suped up version of powerpoint. It's so easy and runs lots of "scripts" to make everything smooth.. just like we like it. :D

My crew is great, dispite the fact that I am the only guy, we all get along. I won't lie I am looking forward to the hotel rooms I get to myself on travel weeks.. :D I hang out with a lot of guys here during free time so that kinda makes up for the all girl crew. We have played tons of Ultimate and really enjoy our new rides!
To tell you a little more about our new rides let me give you this illustration. Imagine you are an organization that helps hundreds of people around the US and you employ 19 year old college kids. You run the background and driving tests and fill out all the paperwork... Then you hand out 34 brand new 2009 vehicles over to these kids, and say "see ya in 10 weeks". Well that's what happened. Everyone got a brand new rental vehicle either a Youkon suburban, a Colbolt sedan, or a Town and Country van.... Except for us. We got a bright red Ford Focus... talk about a good deal.. haha

Anyways this is our last weekend off, and as of now I am planning to go up Trail Ridge Road with my crew and hop up to the top of the mountians. Tomorrow we are having a picnic lake day at lake loveland, and then we have to be back here at the YMCA at 9:00pm sunday night.. other than that I plan on sleeping in and just re-energizing for the day. All in all training has been good and fairly easy, if not monotonious at times. I feel like most days I am eating, training, eating, training, eating, and more training.. which is quite true actually.. Plus we eat dinner at like 5 and lunch at like 12 so I always feel like im eating a double lunch.. :(

It never ceses to amaze me that the Elk here are so tame. Like literally I spent the better part of the other night sitting on a bench and watching 10 Elk walk and graze around me.. The only bad part about it is that there never seems to be a time where you miss stepping in Elk poo..
Putting picts on Facebook.

Captian out.

4 comments:

  1. MediaShout rocks. v4 is kickin like a three-legged ninja!
    Lol... elk poo...

    We are praying for your safety!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm sorry you won't have any more elk poop to step in... you'll just have to find a new animal when you head out... haha. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey...i'm praying for you! sorry they don't have any elk poop on the east coast...they also don't have SHELBIE! hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is going to be fun. Nelson

    ReplyDelete